Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Barnabas

One of the great things about starting a program from scratch is the opportunity as the bus driver to only allow the right people on the bus as it leaves the station.

I have had the great opportunity to have an assistant coaching candidate on campus the last couple of days that I am really excited about. She is very spiritually minded, was a great college player, came highly recommended, and is an overachieving hard worker. These are great qualities to have as we begin the journey. I hope to have an announcement about that soon? It's up to her.

We are also adding another student-athlete to the roster tomorrow. It is Linzee Kerce. She is a 5'11" post player who played her high school ball at Madison Academy and then played a year of Junior College ball before deciding to make the move here because she was far enough along with her academic credits that she didn't need another year of JUCO. I am really excited about Linz. I think she will bring a great deal of intensity to practices and is a great encourager. She has a great spirit about her. It has been tough to nail her down to get a signing. I called her a couple of weeks ago after her commitment and said "let's get this done next week", and she said, "I can't, I am going on a mission trip to Ghana". I told her to call when she returned. She did. I texted her and said, "Let's get it done this weekend", and she said, "I am working a church camp this weekend". That is the ideal recruit. A student, an athlete, and a servant with a heart for Christ. I am pumped about Linz. I am headed up to church camp tomorrow to eat some hot dogs, listen to a devotional, meet some Godly people, and sign a servant of Christ to be a part of our program. Continue to pray for our program to be blessed.

Faulkner Women's Basketball is getting better everyday and tomorrow will be no different. We are signing a modern day Barnabas. What a blessing!

Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment