Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Friday, June 18, 2010

Tine Davis

I am blessed to be able to be employed in a position that I would not call work. Very few people get to do that. Yes there are tough days as a coach when things don't go well. Anytime you are trying to lead a myriad of different personalities there are challenges.

I can't think of anything I would rather being doing than being a full time coach because I literally wake up ready to go every morning. There has not been a day since I arrived at Faulkner that I came dragging into work. The opportunity to coach for a living is awesome. There are days that I feel a little bit guilty, because I have always had to do other things along with coaching like teaching or being an assistant pricipal. In the early years I had to work at Radio Shack, Walgreens, and a pizza place to be able to do what I really want to do...coach. I used the analogy with a friend yesterday that in years past I have had to make the cake so that I could sample the frosting. Right now it is all frosting and it is very sweet.

Today was a good day because Men's basketball coach, Jim Sanderson, and I got to spend some time with our President, Dr. Hilyer. We got to talk to him about ways we felt we could improve our facility, Tine Davis Gymnasium. In particular, we were talking about sanding and refinishing the gym floor and repainting some of the floor level walls. After visiting the gym this afternoon, Dr. Hilyer broke down and told us to move forward with the plans. You could see how excited he was about talking about anything that improves campus, but there is an obvious counterweight called money. He has the tough job of balancing wants and needs. I am grateful for the trust he has put in Coach Sanderson and I to make the gym great.

Tine Davis Gymnasium is a great place. It has a great spirit about it and a great home court feel to it. There is a great balance between old and new. I think if everything were new, it would be impersonal. I like the traditional eagle paintings on the walls and the older wooden chairback seating, although there may be a need to replace the seating soon as well. The new surface on floor will brighten it up and really enhance the most trafficked building on campus. We have chapel in here every day so everyone on campus will benefit from the improvements. I hope the young ladies in our program appreciate the opportunity to play in such a wonderful building. I know that I feel blessed to be able to "work" in it.

Blessings,

Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment