Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Thursday, June 03, 2010

You Make A Grown Man Cry

"You make a grown man cry" are some of the lyrics to a song called "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones. It also describes my day yesterday. As it turns out, I had a kidney stone that was between 3 and 4 mm. That doesn't sound very big on paper, but it was enough to put me on my knees.

I am eternally grateful to my wife for hundreds of reasons, but the biggest reason is making me go to the Pri-Med Center yesterday when I did. Without giving out all of the uncomfortable details, I noticed some pressure and that things weren't normal when I woke up at 7 am yesterday morning. The pain and symptoms were that of my wife's when she had a kidney stone a year or two ago. I called her and she said "Go to Pri-Med NOW! Don't wait! Get there as soon as you can!" So I went out the door, jumped in my truck and burned down Atlanta Highway to the clinic. The major, excruciating pain set in about the moment I walked through the door of the clinic. I was reeling in pain.

I absolutely thank the nurses at the clinic for understanding the pain, except for the one who tried to comfort me by saying, "The pain is only about a third as bad as giving birth a child". I said, "Thanks". Jim Sanderson, our Men's Coach at Faulkner and my savior with rides and picking up prescriptions, wasn't as subdued and said "You know how to comfort a man don't you? Just kick him when he's down!" I think I am going to enjoy working with him.

It is amazing how something that small can throw everything out of whack. The bodies that we have that were created by God are very resilient, but something as small as 3 mm in diameter can literally make a grown man cry and remind us of the fragility of the human body.

Everything is ok now as the stone must have passed in the middle of the night when I was sleeping. I am up and feel good and will continue with my plans to go to North Carolina this afternoon for some recruiting and working at UNC's Elite Camp.

Shoutouts to Darla for convincing me to go to Pri-Med, and to Coach Sanderson for breaking up his day (even though he had a recruit on campus) to help me get to the different places I needed to go and serving my needs ahead of his own.

Servant Leadership.

Blessings,

Coach

"I haven't got time for the pain"
--Carly Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment