Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coach...you're late.

On Friday I walked into the gym to see my players doing some static stretching on their own. I heard one of my players say, "Coach, you're late!" I looked around and all of my players were accounted for and waiting for me to arrive to begin. My heart rate raced as I have a tremendous fear of letting down the team by not being ready for a workout or practice. Then I looked at my watch and it said 5:47 am. I set my watch ahead so I am not late to anything. So the time was actually 5:42 or 5:43. That means that I was really 17 or 18 minutes early for our 6 AM workout. The great thing was that our players were really early and they were ready to start...so we started.

It was just like every other day we have had so far this fall. I have been charting it and we have been starting an average of 12 minutes early every morning. That is a credit to our players who have made it a priority to be early. In our first team meeting in program history our players were all sitting in their seats 25 minutes early. I called our AD, who was our first speaker, and told him we were ready to start and his only response was, "Wow, OK, I am on my way."

That is exactly why these young ladies were recruited to this first team. I felt that they would establish all of the traditions that we wanted started and handle the little things among themselves so that I could concentrate on coaching.

We are off to a great start...and they are going to have to be earlier on Monday to beat me there!

Blessings,

Coach S

"Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Matthew 24:44 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment