Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Wetumpka?

It has been a full time job moving into a new apartment. I remember hating the moving process when it was just Darla and I as an energetic, young, married couple. It is excruciating now that there are 6 of us and two are at an age where for every two things you put away, one ends back out on the living room floor. I am eternally grateful for the guys from Westbury Christian School who helped us load the big moving truck and the guys from University Church of Christ who helped us unload it.

I am in the process of changing our address with the myriad of entities that it is necessary to change it with. I got a great email this morning from my good friend, Chris Barbee. Chris is with alumni relations at my alma mater, Grand Valley State University. His comment when he replied to my address change request was, "I can honestly say that I have never met anyone from Wetumpka, Alabama". He now has that claim to fame as we moved to the great town of Wetumpka. Don't ask me how to properly pronounce it, because I don't know.

There is alot to like about Wetumpka. It is a small town of just a few thousand people, but it has a Walmart and all the fast food places necessary for a life on the go (except Krystal). It is nestle in the hills and rivers north of Montgomery and the people seem very friendly and open to new neighbors. My two favorite things about the town are that the high school nickname is still the Indians. That tells me that they don't buy into alot of the political correctness that abounds in our society. I also like the schools and everyone has been friendly to us that we have met in town and at the church. Marisa and Kylie are now enrolled in school and they start next Monday.

My first impression of Wetumpka and Elmore County was also memorable. The day after we moved in I ran out to get a new dryer electrical cord at the local Russell Do-It Center (aka hardware store). When I got to the light to turn, the sheriff pulled up next to me. He waved. I waved. He rolled his window down and I did. We had a conversation right there at the red light about him growing up in Wichita Falls, Texas, our just moving in, the fishing being great, my tail light needing replaced, the town being a great place to raise kids, and a hearty welcome. I love that! Needless to say, the police in Houston have a different demeanor.

I grew up in a very similar small town and I guess Wetumpka makes me regress to a very good childhood.

Well...gotta go for now... I need to pick up a football schedule and check on season tickets. My Friday nights are scheduled for the next 12 weeks!!!

Blessings,

Coach S

No comments:

Post a Comment