Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Future Lady Eagle?

I had a great workout tonight. Probably because it was at the 8th grade level. My daughter Kylie is committing herself to making the Middle School team this year and I am committed to helping her get there. My rule of thumb with my kids is that I am not going to push them into anything, but if they say "Dad let's go the gym, or workout, or to the golf course", I drop everything and take them.

Tonight was Kylie and I's first workout. We started in the fitness center at our apartment complex with some walk, jog, ab work, and very low weight bench press (so we don't crack her little twigs in half!).

Regardless of the player, whether it is my child or not, it is always fun to coach someone who is self-motivated and makes working out a "want to" and not a "got to".

My prayer is that our players at Faulkner are "want to" players and not "got to" players. They were recruited because I determined that they loved the game and had a great work ethic...I hope I was right? We will know soon now that our freshmen are on campus and our transfers will be here this weekend.

I am excited about our first meeting on Monday night.

Maybe one day Kylie will get to be in that meeting?

Blessings,

Coach S

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men"
Colossians 3:23

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

1 comment: