Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Friday, May 21, 2010

How About Them Apples?

Admittedly, at times I have felt a little rushed in putting our team together because I am ready to get off the road and lock in with our players to get them ready physically, mentally, and relationally for next season. However, one of the things I have grown to enjoy already in recruiting is signing day.

I had the tremendous honor of signing Rebekah Marsh today to come play at Faulkner. Rebekah is a 6 foot tall post/forward who can defend well, is smart (having spent some time coaching), and can step out and shoot. I think she will help us on the floor, she is talented. However, I think she will help us in many more areas of our program as we build it because she is a mother hen. She has the unique ability to think about others more than herself. She communicates well and has developed a relationship with me in a short period of time to where I really respect her thoughts about basketball. She has a tremendous work ethic. Rebekah called me the other day and asked, "Coach how much rest time is there between 40 yard dashes when I run 50 of them?" You see, when she was on her visit we went out to dinner with another recruit, Sonja Vuong, who played for me at Westbury Christian. Sonja and I were talking about conditioning and I asked her what the toughest day was as Lady Wildcat and Sonja said the day we finished with 50 40's. Rebekah picked up on that on her own and got with her trainers to raise herself to that level in May so that she will be more than ready come October when practice starts. That is an incredible attitude!

Rebekah has to have the qualities of a mother hen because she is the oldest of 8 kids. I am sure that she has had to dedicate her life to helping raise her brothers and sisters because that is what is practical for running the Marsh home. I am excited about Rebekah joining our team.

I have had a great relationship with almost all of the parents of the players I have coached. Even if we disagreed about things (mostly playing time...which I don't ever talk about directly with parents), I have earned their respect and they have earned mine for the sacrifices that they make in trying to provide the best education and opportunity for their kids. I remember when I was an assistant boys coach at Westbury there was a player that I really wanted to come to the school, but our Head Coach at the time Greg Glenn noticed that the parents were a little loopy and had overblown expectations for their kid who would have been a role player for our team that year. I remember that Greg said he would not add the player to our roster because, "The apple does not fall far from the tree". In other words, if the parents were not to be trusted, then their child's attitude would turn south. I think about this phrase all the time when I think about the example I am setting for my children.

So now when I recruit young ladies for my team, I try recruit their parents as well. That is what makes Rebekah so special. I had the opportunity to visit with her parents at their home about a month ago and fell in love with their family. There is a spirit of joy in their home that is unparalled and I am jealous of that for my family. They are amazing people, both of whom are deaf, but have not let that stop them from living life to its fullest especially as they sacrifice for their 8 children. I know that if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree with the Rebekah, the tree is a redwood at the Marsh home.

Building a team has to start with relationships and I believe that Rebekah is going to be a relationship builder on our team that unifies and keeps her teammates pointed in the right direction. I am grateful that she is now a Lady Eagle.

Coach S

"...just like a tree that's planted by the water, I shall not be moved" - hymn

3 comments:

  1. Heather5:12 PM

    Sooooo I'm not sure if we are supposed to comment on your blog posts, but in this case I would like to take the chance and do so ;) why do I wish to comment so bad (you might wonder)? Well Rebekah Marsh is my coach. It was under her that I fell in love with the game of basketball. As much as I hate to see my new found sister go right before my senior year, I know that God has given her this awesome opportunity to play for you.  Believe me, you won't regret signing her. Besides the fact that she is an obvious BEAST, Bek knows how to treat others and how to build up a team. She brought us all together to actually play as a team, and not just as individuals. She encourages us nonstop to do the best and be the best we can at everything we do whether it be basketball, school, or just things at home. Now she is going to be giving it her all and using her excellence for what she loves, and it's our turn to sit on the sidelines and cheer her on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather...thanks for your comments on Rebekah. You are welcome to comment anytime. I wish your team at Logos Prep the best. Work hard during your off season and take advantage of this time to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather5:05 PM

    Sweet deal. Thank you sir, and in turn I know we all wish the best for y'alls upcoming season. I'm trying my hardest to prepare for my senior year and make it the best season I've had.

    ReplyDelete