Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Monday, May 24, 2010

Very Impressive Person

I just returned to my room from my awesome weekend in Houston. Only a couple of thoughts because it is past bed time!

First, I was excited to return to an email from Linzee Kerce who committed to join our team. Linzee will be a sophomore next year. She is a 5'11" post player from Huntsville. She played at Southern Union Community College last year after playing at Madison Academy in High School for good friend and Faulkner grad, Brian Privett. Linzee is a very hard worker, a great student, and is committed in her walk with Christ. The Faulkner Women's Basketball trifecta.

Last, I just wanted to pass along a poem of which I have not researched the author and I changed to the feminine, but it was given to a group of coaches at a small clinic that I went to this weekend featuring Coach Don Meyer. Coach Meyer is a big influence on my coaching career, and is the winningest basketball coach in college history. He is an ESPY award winner whose speech is a must see for award speeches. www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoOkHawZKa4 His life story will be out in a book written by Buster Olney in September. Check him out at www.coachmeyer.com. I think it is a great poem for our players to read.

VERY IMPRESSIVE PERSON
She greets everyone with a smile
And a hearty handshake;
And makes you fell she means it
When she says she is glad to meet you.
And she makes you glad to meet her.

She walks with a sprightly step
And speaks with a laugh in her voice.
She listens with interest
And speaks with conviction,
And makes you feel you have known her all your life.

She doesn't seem to try to impress,
Yet she's most impressive.
She never tries pressing to pursuade,
Yet you always come away convinced.
She's the kind of girl we enjoy being around
Because she is what we all secretly would like to be;
Someone who enjoys being herself.

Blessings,

Coach

"I have decided to let my life be my argument"
-Albert Schweitzer

1 comment: