Lessons Learned While Building A Team

"You do not select a team, you select a group of people and then work together to develop into a team...teams don't instantly become, they evolve"

Coach K from the Introduction of his book, The Gold Standard

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Let's Get It Re-Started

I am inspired. I received an email this morning from a very good friend and fellow coach, Russell Carr. He is the Athletic Director and Boy's Basketball Coach at Westbury Christian School where I worked for 8 1/2 years. On the email from Russell was a link to his new blog. On his blog site was a post about my wonderful family. Coach wrote about them as he noticed that they helped him learn a life lesson about happiness. I enjoyed receiving it the email and reading about the lessons that Russell is learning in his life.

I also have another dear coaching friend that has a blog. Steve Hawley from Westbury Christian is a teacher, author, and friend. He is the best at being alert in every day life to the little things that make a difference and then applying that to a Biblical principle. I read Coach Hawley's blog almost every day.

This got me thinking about my blog. I didn't know that it would even still exist. In 2005 and 2006 I was a PE/Health teacher and basketball/tennis coach at Westbury Christian School. I utilized a blog in my Health classes as one of many teaching methods that kids were interested in. So after being inspired by Coach Carr's blog, I punched in the url for my old blog and voila! It still exists. So I have decided to delete most of my old blogs (I kept a couple of my favorites) and start anew. It was alot of fun looking back and being reminded of all of those lessons and moments. A blog is a great place to reflect on life and then review it later.

This is a great opportunity to chronicle my new adventure in life, team building. I am the new Head Women's Basketball Coach at Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama. I consider it a great honor to have been entrusted with the task of starting the program from scratch. We will play our first game November 4, 2010 against Warner University in Florida.

My goal is to begin blogging again about the journey of building a team from its inception. I will attempt to chronicle the lessons (good and bad) that I learn along the way. I will try to give and receive insight about team building concepts such as leadership, character, collective identity, community service, and education. I will share stories about the players on the team and their triumphs and struggles. I will post articles and links that people send to me that I think reinforce good team building practices. I will be as transparent as possible on the journey that we are starting as we build toward having the model women's basketball program...a program the glorifies God.

I look forward to your contributions. I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you blog!! I think it is a great idea!! I blog too....and louise does...and well alot of Faulkner does :) Welcome to the Faulkner Bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey Wig2:19 PM

    Coach Sutton, good to have you in the Faulkner Family. We can't wait to get Darla and the family here. Sorry I am not a blogger, just don't have a lot to say. Great Days are ahead.

    ReplyDelete